Thursday, February 28, 2013

E.L. Doctorow - Ragtime

I first read this novel in July of 1976 when it came out in paperback.  I read it again in the same PB I purchased on 7/2/76.  The books is just as enchanting today as it was then.

This book is unlike anything else I've ever read.  The book truly takes the reader back to the early days of the 20th Century focusing on the New York area.  It's not so much that you read this book that you are transported in your mind, immersed in the country of that time.  The book is engrossing, enchanting, and all-consuming.  Nothing like it has been written before or since in my opinion.  You are drawn into this novel as if you are living in America in the early years of the 20th Century.  It's uncanny; it's astonishing; it's provacative.

It is thrilling how the author weaves real people like Harry Houdini and Emma Goldman with his fictional characters.  The books weaves together disparate characters and events and wraps it all up at the end.  The book has a begnning, a middle, and end.  I like that.

This is one of my favorite novels of all time. 

No comments: