Tuesday, February 7, 2023

In February of 1973

 In February of 1973 (50 yrs ago!) I was dating this girl named Mary. We had 7 dates together before we discovered we had nothing in common. She was an accounting major; I was a history major. She was Church of Christ. I was Southern Baptist. The twain never did meet. I used to remember all 7, but the memories are a bit spotty now.

We saw the movie "The Poseidon Adventure." Afterwards pizza and cherry cokes.
Mary said, "Stupid people waiting for a rescue in the ship they should have known would never happen. I have no sympathy for them. Craven cowards!"
"You're judging them too harshly. Who knows what we would have done if we were in that situation."
"I know what I would have done. I would have vamoosed out of that sinking ship."
Okay, Mary, okay.
On the second date the subject of music came up.
I told her that Bob Dylan was my favorite.
I still remember the look of disgust that came over her face.
Her comment: "I'd rather listen to a cow moo."
Red Flag!
So who do you like?
"Elton John."
"I like Elton, too. Good singer. Too bad he can't play the piano worth a flip."
Revenge can be so sweet!
I drug her to a used bookstore once where I picked my 6 books.
She just stood there while I looked.
"Do you always buy so many books?"
"I always buy at least 6. Gives me a decent choice. Chances are I will read one or two of them.”
"That's lame."
"What's your favorite book of all-time?"
"Intermediate Accounting II.
Five of those six are still on my shelf unread 50 years later.
Red Flag II!
I wonder if she still has her Intermediate Accounting II.
On the 8th asking she said, "I don't think so, Fred. I think I've had enough of you."
Okay, but thanks for the memories, Mary.

No comments: