Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Brian Lamb, Susan Swain, and C-Span - The Presidents (Book Review)

C-Span publishes a book with their new ranking of the US Presidents with a chapter on each based on an interview with the author of a book about that particular President.  Their rankings are based a survey of Presidential historians.  I wish they had included a listing of the voters but they don't.  The rankings are not very surprising.

The biggest riser in recent years is Dwight D. Eisenhower.  The biggest dropper is Andrew Jackson.  The seemingly quiet Eisenhower years look better as the years go on and the slave-holding Jackson's Indian removal debacle receives greater accountability.

1.  Abraham Lincoln
Chapter based on Harold Holzer's recent book.  Holzer is certainly a Lincoln cultist.  Has he ever uttered a negative word about his hero?  Lincoln said a decisive no to the extension of slavery.  If he had wavered there might have been no war, although that is debatable, but the inevitable collision would have been only delayed.  Holzer says his major point is to stress Lincoln's commitment to prevent the spread of slavery.

2.  George Washington
Ron Chernow's recent biography of Washington has become the contemporary standard.  His chapter in this book is magnificent.  It makes me wonder how in the world a man of this caliber could have arisen at just the right time in our nascent country.  Washington would be MY choice as our greatest president.  We must say that his slaveholding is not defensive even allowing for his time and place.  According to Chernow, he treated his enslaved as if they were employees.  As to political parties or factions, Washington was naive.  He had a high opinion of his  which is disingenuous.
If we need heroes in this country now, no better place to start than GW.

3. Franklin Roosevelt.
I can't get enough of FDR.  I will read anything I can find on Roosevelt.  In this book the FDR chapter is based on Doris Kearns Goodwin's book from 1994,  Good book but many years old now.
I am reminded of how Sara Delano Roosevelt doted on her son, a "momma's boy."  Was this the source of his élan and seeing inner cheerfulness and confidence?  I am reminded that FDR liked maps and geography as do I.

4.  Theodore Roosevelt.
I can't make up mind if I like TR or not.  Douglas Brinkley writes of his sterling record on conservation.  I wish I had more of an interest in conservation but I don't.

5.  Dwight Eisenhower
Based on the recent book by William I. Hitchcock.  Eisenhower has shown the greatest rise in popularity amongst our Presidents in recent years.  I have no problem with this development.  He ended hostilities in Korea, his greatest accomplishment.

6.  Harry Truman
I have long been a President Truman fan.  Nothing much negative to be said about Harry.  This author seems to support the dropping of the atomic bombs on Japan.  She does startle me by concluding that getting involved in Korea was a mistake.  I did not know that Aida D. Donald had written a biography of Truman.

7. Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Sterne Randall adds nothing to our understanding of Jefferson.  My opinion of Jefferson has fallen in recent years.  The more you learn about Jefferson, the more he disappoints.  I understand Jefferson's appeal in our history due to the DOI but I do not understand why he is rated so highly as President.

8.  John F. Kennedy
Robert Dallek's biography is probably the best although I have not read it.  I like JFK but I do not understand why he is rated so highly.  Very much a foreign policy President.

9.  Ronald Reagan
Lou Cannon is our go-to man on Reagan.  I despise Reagan.  According to Lou Cannon, you couldn't turn Ronald Reagan loose.  He had to be scripted.

10. Lyndon Johnson
Robert Caro is our prominent Johnson scholar with 4 volumes so far and a final one yet to come.  LBJ is endlessly fascinating.

11. Woodrow Wilson
W. Scott Berg does the honors.  Dozens of books have been written about Wilson.  I do not know what to make of him.

12. Barack Obama
Perhaps I need to read Garrow's biography.  This chapter makes it sound interesting.

13. James Monroe
I have John Ferling's recent book.  I do not intend to read it after reading his comments on the book.  It's hard to get interested in Monroe.

14. James K. Polk
John Seigenthaler goes on and on about what a great President Polk was, but I read his comments unconvinced.  A weak chapter in this book.  "James K. Polk was a man of his time."  Aren't we all!

15. William J. Clinton
I read David Maraniss's book which was published in 1995, a good one.  Clinton will always be of interest to me.

16. William McKinley
McKinley is supposed to be an important President, but I do not understand this yet.

17. James Madison
I am always interested in Madison, the other aspect of his life more than his presidency.  This chapter is based on a book by a Harvard professor named Noah Feldman.  Not very good.  I will not read his book on Madison.

18. Andrew Jackson
Old Hickory has fallen in favor in recent years due to increased focus on his brutal Indian removal politics.  Does the modern Democratic Party still like to honor him?  I hope not.  Though Jackson will always be of interest.  He had much to do with the contours of the state of Alabama.

19. John Adams
Lately I have been much interested in Adams.  There is such a depth to this man.  The Gordon Wood book on Adams and Jefferson will likely stay on my reading list.

20. George H.W. Bush
Some Democrats really don't like Bush I.  I do not share their disdain.  It seems that Bush didn't think the Willie Horton ad in 1988 was significant.  Whatever it takes to get elected he thought, and then you forget about it.  Didn't Harry Truman have the same attitude?  Old school thinking?

21. John Quincy Adams
Much laudatory interest in JQA in recent years.  Of great interest to me.  Will read one of his biographies.  Fascinated by dendrology.  Tree lover.  The story of his taking on the "slavocracy" when he entered the House has been documented well in recent years.  Received threats on his life but never informed law enforcement.  Deep Puritan iron in his soul.  Strong-willed.  Loved Voltaire surprisingly.  Bore the burden of being the son of his demanding parents.  Fantastic talker and conversationalist.  Incredible public service career.  Didn't believe in political parties.

22. Ulysses S. Grant
Much interest also in recent years.  Will read at least one more Grant biography.  Exactly what should our attitude be toward Grant and his record on Reconstruction?  Ronald White thinks Grant should get more credit for defending the rights of African Americans.

23. Grover Cleveland
Interesting fellow but of no continuing interest.  Blatantly racist.  Right-wing.  From Buffalo.  Any connection?

24. William Howard Taft
I read the Rosen biography which gave me an appreciation of Taft.  His focus on the Constitution is of great relevance today: a President's actions should be Constitutionally sound.  Our present POTUS is clueless and couldn't care less about the Constitution.  Taft had rightly concern about TR's executive actions.  Rosen says that Taft was a great hater.  I don't like this.

25. Gerald R. Ford
I have no problem with Ford.  Unlike most Democrats I support his pardon of Nixon.  Ford did not discuss the pardon with Nixon.  I believe it.

26. Jimmy Carter
I will always be fond of Jimmy Carter.  He has a core of integrity the exact opposite of Trump.

27. Calvin Coolidge
The one chapter in this book I did not read.  No Amity Shlaes!

28. Richard M. Nixon
Strangely I have always liked Nixon!  Evan Thomas says Nixon was "weird."  No doubt!  Nixon vs. The Georgetown Set.  They hated Nixon.  I never could plug into that time's liberal visceral hatred of Nixon.  You have to consider the personal with Nixon.

29. James G. Garfield
An interesting man.  Will likely read any books about him.

30. Benjamin Harrison
Who cares?

31. Zachary Taylor
Who cares?

32. Rutherford B. Hays
Who cares?

33. George W. Bush
I loathe W only less so than Trump.

34. Martin B. Buren
Jackson disciple.  Party man who helped create modern political parties.  Perhaps more important in our history than given credit for.

35. Chester A. Arthur
A decent fellow actually.

36. Herbert Hoover
An interesting fellow, rightly pilloried, but still interesting.  Will not read a Hoover biography.

37. Millard Fillmore
Who cares?

38. William Henry Harrison
Who cares?

39. John Tyler
A scumbag.  A President without a party.  Nominally a Whig but without Whig principles.

40. Warren G. Harding
Probably a capable fellow at some level but full of weaknesses.

41. Franklin Pierce
Inconsequently.

42. Andrew Johnson
Can anything good be said about this man?

43. James Buchanan
Poor guy!  Gets no respect.  Buchanan the waffler!   According to his space in this book, he was quite the party giver in the White House.  At least there was one thing he could do right!











No comments: