Friday, January 25, 2013

Library Quotes

“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.”


― Jorge Luis Borges

"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.”


― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

“I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess.”


― H.P. Lovecraft




“Never lend books, for no one ever returns them; the only books I have in my library are books that other folks have lent me.”

― Anatole France

“If your library is not "unsafe," it probably isn't doing its job.”

― John Berry
“I attempted briefly to consecrate myself in the public library, believing every crack in my soul could be chinked with a book.”

― Barbara Kingsolver, The Poisonwood Bible

tags: books, library 157 people liked it like
“What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it feels about education.”

― Harold Howe

“The only thing that you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library.”

― Albert Einstein

“The sea is nothing but a library of all the tears in history.”

― Lemony Snicket

“For him that stealeth,or borroweth and returneth not,this book from its owner, let it change into a serpent in his hand and rend him.

Let him be struck with palsy, and all his members blasted.

Let him languish in pain, crying aloud for mercy, and let there be no surcease to this agony till he sing in dissolution.

Let bookworms gnaw his entrails in token of the worm that dieth not, and when at last he goeth to his last punishment, let the flames of hell consume him for ever.



Curse on book thieves, from the monastery of San Pedro, Barcelona, Spain”

― Cornelia Funke, Inkheart
“When I open them, most of the books have the smell of an earlier time leaking out between the pages - a special odor of the knowledge and emotions that for ages have been calmly resting between the covers. Breathing it in, I glance through a few pages before returning each book to its shelf.”

― Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

“A library is like an island in the middle of a vast sea of ignorance, particularly if the library is very tall and the surrounding area has been flooded.”

― Daniel Handler

“What in the world would we do without our libraries?”

― Katharine Hepburn

“She'd absolutely adored the library_an entire building where anyone could take things they didn't own and feel no remorse about it.”

― Ally Carter, Heist Society

“She'd always been a little excitable, a little more passionate about books than your average person, but she was supposed to be -- she was a librarian, after all.”

― Sarah Beth Durst

“Come with me,' Mom says.

To the library.

Books and summertime

go together.”

― Lisa Schroeder, I Heart You, You Haunt Me

“In the library I felt better, words you could trust and look at till you understood them, they couldn't change half way through a sentence like people, so it was easier to spot a lie.”

― Jeanette Winterson, Oranges are Not the Only Fruit

“Few pleasures, for the true reader, rival the pleasure of browsing unhurriedly among books: old books, new books, library books, other people's books, one's own books - it does not matter whose or where. Simply to be among books, glancing at one here, reading a page from one over there, enjoying them all as objects to be touched, looked at, even smelt, is a deep satisfaction. And often, very often, while browsing haphazardly, looking for nothing in particular, you pick up a volume that suddenly excites you, and you know that this one of all the others you must read. Those are great moments - and the books we come across like that are often the most memorable.”

― Aidan Chambers




No comments: