Monday, September 24, 2018

Washington's Rules


George Washington developed a list of rules for civility that he tried to practice as he was growing up on the Virginia frontier in the middle of the 18th Century.
Such rules as were necessary to be an English gentleman of his time. I have always liked this Dale Carnegie approach to developing character even though I have no such list for myself.
One of Washington's Rules I disagree with. Can't help it.
"Do not laugh at your own jokes."
Sorry, Mr. President. Please forgive me. I DO laugh at my own jokes while always hoping my victims are laughing with me.
The First Two Rules:
1. Treat everyone with respect in your Company.
2. When in Company, put not your Hands to any Part of the Body, not usually Discovered.
Nobody's perfect but I got the two above covered. Then again I never aspired to be an English gentleman.

No comments: