Monday, December 1, 2014

PIke County, Alabama

The traveling salesman of 38 yrs runs into some strange things on the road particularly like today when he is trolling down the highway into Pike County, Alabama, where strange things are the norm. All of a sudden south of Montgomery all traffic vanishes on the highway, as do all houses and businesses. Alabama pine trees hug the highway. I feel nature closing in and I start to suffocate. I've heard of werewolves and Big Foot roaming the country side in Pike County. I drive for miles and miles and it's nothing but me and my '98 Kia and the highway and the pine trees. All of a sudden there is a clown on the side of the road bearing a strange resemblance to Harpo Marx. He blows his horn at me and waves. I intend to stop but when I look back he has vanished. Then there is a mime on the side of the road bearing a strange resemblance to Charlie Chaplin dressed in black playing with a bowler hat. He vanishes before I can turn around. Yikes! All 13 hairs on the top of my head are standing straight up before I see a sign that says Troy. I am safe, never so happy to arrive in Troy, Alabama, deep in the heart of Pike County. Strange things happen when you've been on the road for 38 years.
  • Stephen Jennings likes this.
  • Rachel Stevens Anything like McIntosh County in Georgia--as in "Praying for Sheetrock?"
  • Freddy Hudson I had a similar experience the last time I ventured through Pike County. I saw a man by the road, dressed in a suit and smoking. He was holding a sign that read, "You are entering another dimension, that of sound, sight, and mind." He vanished in my rearview mirror.

No comments: