Friday, January 3, 2014

All Aboard!

Last night I dreamed I was on a slow train heading West. The train had just left the Birmingham station. It would be an interesting trip to San Francisco for the train is full of shysters, confidence men, and swindlers. The trick is to tell the difference between them. They all smile and have winsome ways, but who's who? (How DO you tell the difference between these people types?) There is a... dining car where they are serving caviar and champaigne. There a card room where they are playing Old Maid. There is a car where everyone sits in silence looking at their smart phones. There is an elevated sightseeing car where everyone is exchanging meaningful glances excluding me. The train lets out a loud whistle as it passes into a tunnel. I reach for my wallet as I awake shaken. Oh, my.

No comments: