Tuesday, September 30, 2014

F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

Finished it for at least the third time.  As a general rule I do not read books twice.  I am not one of those who likes to read as a adult what I read as a callow youth.  When I do read a book twice, there has to be sufficient time between readings so that I forget much of the plot and details.  Some people reread their favorite book once each year.  That is not for me!

This is a great novel for its lyrical prose, interesting story, and arresting details.  It is not The Great American Novel, for in my opinion, there is no such thing.

Too much can be made of this book.  It is a love story pure and simple with asides that can go on forever.  There are plenty of Fitzgerald fanatics who devote lives to studying this writer.  Maybe this is why I never became a scholar.  My mind jumps from one thing to another.  I could never devote years to one subject.

1 comment:

Freddy Hudson said...

If you're going to reread a book, this is as good as any.