Friday, October 25, 2013

The Plethora of JFK Books

The Jill Abramson essay below is a serviceable overview.  JFK remains elusive.  Aren't all great people in particular US Presidents elusive?  More than 40,000 books written so far about Kennedy?  That's hard to believe.  Not a great one yet?  Well, give it time I suppose.  The Richard Reeves book noted below is the best JFK book I've read so far.  This book focuses on the presidency, which is the greatest interest to me.  The personal life?  Interesting, but only in so far as it affected his performance in the White House.  I am reading the new Dalleck book.  It focuses on the presidential years and I like that.  I am not interested in assasination theories.  Until definitive proof surfaces of a conspiracy or a second shooter, Lee Harvey Oswalt killed this president and he acted alone and I am satisfied with this conclusion.  The essay makes me want to read the William Manchester book.  There is no end to books about John F. Kennedy.

No comments: