Saturday, March 7, 2009

My Reading Style

I want to offer my own answers to the following questionnaire posed by Fred. I think there are stark differences between us.

1. Do you dog-ear pages?

Yes.

2. What about book marks?

I care nothing for bookmarks. A scrap piece of toilet paper stuck to my shoe would serve just as well.

3. Do you read footnotes as you proceed, or do you read them all at the end?

Neither. I do not read footnotes. They annoy me. Nor do I read captions, graphs, or illustrations.

4. Do you go on reading binges---particular authors, particular subjects?

No. Variety is the spice of life.

5. Do you prefer hardbacks or paperbacks?

Hardbacks are nicer, but more expensive. I own many more paperbacks.

6. Do you ever feel guilty about what you've read if, say, you read a mass market book or something considered "trashy?"

No. I usually don't enjoy reading popular fiction. The stories and reading experience are never as satisfying. As a consequence, YA and popular fiction are generally foreign worlds to me. I hear people discussing certain authors or books, and I almost always have never heard of them. However, I don't care because such genres hold little sway with me.

7. Do you read in long sessions or short spurts?

Intermittent spurts.

No comments: