Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Lincoln's Birthday

As we approach and move past Thursday, the magic day of Lincoln's 200th birthday, I will offer various comments on our 16th President. I will indicate the books and questions that interest me, and I will mention the questions about Lincoln that do NOT interest me. First, what does not interest me concerning Lincoln.

First of all, I notice that many books, most in recent years, have been written about the Lincoln marriage. This subject does not interest me. I merely note in passing Herndon's negative opinion of Mary Lincoln, and the fact that most historians have followed suit in dismissing her.

In some quarters we hear the refrain "What would Lincoln do?" Maybe the question is asked about the current economic crisis. I am not interested in what Lincoln would do. Lincoln lived in a different America in a different time and such a question is fruitless.

James McPherson has a new book on Lincoln the military commander. This is not for me. I do not care for military history. Suffice it to say that Lincoln did come to a view that the South had to submit to unconditional surrender. The process that led Lincoln to this view is of interest, but not the military strategy that brought it about.

Lincoln's religious views do not interest me. That is because the question of Lincoln's exact views on religion seems to be an unanswerable question with views all over the place; thus, I dismiss the issue.

No comments: