Sunday, January 25, 2009

Revolutionary Road - The Movie

First a warning. Do not see this movie if you are depressed for it will only make your situation worse. The movie, which follows the novel which I did read, is a complete downer. It's dark, and there is no upside. Having read the book, I knew the ending, but still it was depressing leaving the theatre.

Yes, it does follow the book closely, which I always like if I've read the book.

The only quarrel I have is that I find it hard to see Leonardo DiCaprio as a 50's fellow. He seems out of place in 1955. The rest of the casting is fine. Kate Winslet give an Oscar-worthy peformance.

I suspect the material reflects the life of Richard Yates, who probably never fit into the conventional life. The Wheelers think they are better than their surroundings, and from the beginning think they should a better life than the suburban life of the 50's. What that better life is is never spelled out in either the book or the movie. What exactly were they looking for? The other comment I would make is that they apparently took no great pleasure in their children. I suspect that Richard Yate didn't either.

As I left the theatre at Patton Creek, I heard a man behind me say, "That's the most depressing thing I've ever seen."

Well, yes, but the acting is great and powerful and I would recommend it if you're in a good mood. Do not chance if you are not in a good mood!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I plan on seeing it this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Are you glad you read the book first? Or should the book be read second?

Fred Hudson said...

With me it's always book first. I don't recall ever seeing a movie first and then reading the book. I am glad I read the book first. Yates is a great writer.