Thursday, January 8, 2009

Dr. Irvin D. Yalom - Lying on the Couch

I discovered the fiction of Dr. Yalom while checking out Richard Yates. The two are contiguous on the bookstore shelf!

If you like clinical psychology like I do---I was once planning on becoming a clinical psychologist---you'll like this psychological tale,which takes you into the mind of psychiatrists in SF Bay Area. (Where else would you wish to read about shrinks except California or New York?

The main story line involves Marshall, a psychoanalyst, who gets hoodwinked twice by the same crook. A professional who is supposed to be a trained observer of people gets fooled royally. In the end, the crook gets away, but Marshall learns a few things about life from the school of hard knocks.

I love the jargon of psychology because I understand it. I love the Freud and the Jung and all the rest.

Like I said, this is an enjoyable piece if you like clinical psychology.

No comments: