Sunday, April 2, 2023

Have You Ever

 Have you ever driven Alabama Highway 157 (The Univ. of North Alabama Highway) from I-65 in Cullman to Colbert County? No? Good for you, but you've missed the heart of the Heart of Dixie.

First off the Jack's in West Point was packed. Big deal there: breakfast or dinner (lunch) at Jacks. A venue choice of one.
The Dutch Oven Bakery is still open, but I did not stop. Have stopped there many times before but I still do not speak Dutch. I pass on by today.
It took to beyond Moulton to see my first and ONLY Confederate flag. So disappointing. I expect to see one in every front yard.
Eight houses were having front yard junk sales. Saw some things that looked pretty interesting but I kept going. I have enough tacky used furniture already.
Turning off 157 to Ford City you pass thru Leighton, the home of Percy Sledge. But still no sign in town acknowledging one of the greatest singers of all-time. The ONLY sign of life was in front of the Dollar General store. There is also the Leighton Museum. What on earth could possibly be there? Toot's Diner is still boarded up as it has been for the last 55 yrs. I've given up on a reopening.
On to Ford City to take a breath and the big Dollar Store there. Is there a single small town in Alabama without a dollar store?

No comments: