Monday, April 10, 2023

 David G. Myers  -  HOW do we know OURSELVES = Notes

I automatically like people who share my wacky sense of humor. I automatically like people who read the same books that I read. I automatically like people who attended my land-grant university. I automatically like people who share my political views. Psychologists call this phenomenon implicit egoism. We like people who are like us. P.S. i also automatically like people who like psychological jargon like IMPLICIT EGOTISM P. 3

Fear of losing trumps subverts chances to win. Fear of losing is more powerful than the opportunity to win. P. 89

William, James pointed out that it is best we forget many things. P. 84

Psychology's biggest question: how do nature and nurture form us? This author seems to lean more on nature. P. 74

Birth order predictions of family dynamics and personalities have been overdone. Birth-effects tend to evaporate after accounting for family size. P. 72

Social psychologists must be the most jargon-laden social scientists in the Western world. They have a specific scientific sounding name for every commonplace phenomenon.
Anything seems obvious once it happens. They call it "Hindsight Bias." I knew it! I knew it! I knew it was going to happen (after it happened). Remember: Hindsight Bias.
I have my own jargon. One I call "A Leg Up."
I put my pants on one leg at a time. One leg in the pants. Second leg in the pants. One at a time.
One Leg Up. I don't put my pants on a nail and jump into them.
I am not a social psychologist. I came up with this on my own. P. 42

Most of us see ourselves as better than average.  P. 55

 Now I've got to give credit to the Dunning-Kruger Effect: incompetence doesn't recognize itself. We've got something here to hang our hat on. In other words, if you're stupid and ignorant you don't know it.

To succeed you must be willing to fail. P. 167

Mere exposure breeds content. P. 203

The author claims that replication failure does not doom "psychological science." P. 208

No comments: