Tuesday, November 1, 2022

David Plunkett

 


David Plunkett was in the Ben Franklin "dime store" in Winfield when he noticed for the first time a box of baseball cards.  Five cents later from his parents he had his first pack of baseball cards with a piece of bubblegum.

David ran across the street where I was and said, "Look at THIS!"

My eyes bugged out.  I was 6 and David was 5.  Our first sight of baseball cards.  We loved them and collected them into the 60's before we lost interest and, you guessed it, our mothers threw them out.  Boys and their baseball cards during that time was our moveable feast.

My first pack in 1956 purchased minutes after David's included a now obscure Chicago Cub third baseman and manager named Stan Hack. In 1977 I purchased another '56 Stan Hack at a card show in Birmingham for $3.  On this day every year I take it out of the drawer.

David passed away last January.  Today is his birthday. He would have been 66 today.  (11-1-2016)

No comments: