Wednesday, November 2, 2022

On the 19th Century

 People ask me why I am so enamored with the 19th Century.* It started with my maternal grandfather Joe Franklin Hankins 1880-1963. He was the only person I have known who was born in the 19th Century.

He lived in rural Lamar County, Alabama, just outside of Vernon. Both sides of my family came from Lamar County.
Pawpaw Hankins never owned a motorized vehicle. He took his wagon to town. He was a farmer. I still have a picture in my mind of him plowing with a mule. My maternal grandmother died in 1948 before I was born.
When I knew him Papaw would sit in his easy chair and tell funny stories. He had a mischievous smile, always with a kind word to say. I never saw him mad at anything or anybody.
The only thing I remember him ever being wrong about was that he thought he would be alive at the Second Coming. Didn't happen but I do not think he is worried about that now.
*Actually no one has ever asked me why I am enamored with the 19th Century. Just thought it would be a nice way to start this story.

No comments: