Sunday, August 31, 2014

Marja Mills - The Mockingbird Next Door

Fact is, this book is a disappointment.  First of all, I am not greatly interested in the personal life of Nelle Harper Lee.  Why is she so reclusive?  Why did she not publish another novel?  Her goings back and forth between NYC and Monroeville?  Whatever.

Marja Mills is Yankee journalist who was sent South from Chicago to write a story on Harper Lee and ended up renting the house next door to the Lees.  This book is the result.

I see no great revelations.  Nelle and Alice, sisters, are enamored with The South, its history and mores, and that comes thru in the book.  Both love books and reading.  I was pleased to note this.  But there are no hush hush disclosures.  That's okay.  I wouldn't be interested anyway.

Alice, who is over 100 years of age, and Nelle, pushing 90, live in separate assisted living facilities in Monroeville.  I hope they are living the best they can in their final years.  I suppose it would interesting to talk to the two of them.  Since Nelle Lee chose not to tell her own story, I predict that multiple books will come out in the coming years to tell us about the "real Harper Lee."  I can wait.  No rush, please.

This book appeared quickly on the NY Times best seller list and vanished just as quickly.  I can see why now that I have read it.

No comments: