Thursday, July 24, 2014

Khaled Hosseini - A Thousand Splendid Suns

It's quite a novel, and I enjoyed it very much.  Hosseini is an amazing story teller and he certainly knows Afghan history.

The sweep of the story against 30 years of Afghan history is riveting.  I wish I knew more about that war torn country.  Why has this country and these people been invaded so many times?  How much can these people take?   Is it geography or what?  The picture we get of of the Taliban and fundamentalist Islam is horrible.  How tragic if true.

I kept wondering how it would end.  I thought Rasheed would die and the ladies would be left to fend for themselves.  I didn't dream they would kill him although I was cheering imagining the shovel cracking the brute's head.  I didn't dream one would sacrifice her life for the other. How stunning.

Great book.  One of the best I've ever read.


1 comment:

Freddy Hudson said...

Glad you liked it. Yes, Hosseini is a top notch storyteller. I guess Mariam decided she wanted her life to be significant; maybe it was atonement for abandoning her mother and living so passively for years.