Friday, May 4, 2012

Jon Krakauer - "Into the Wild" (2)

This is a fun book to read even though it's a tragedy.  Krakauer is a great writer, a great nature/adventure writer for sure.  The author keeps the story interesting throughout even though the reader knows the outcome.  He injects his own autobiography into the story showing how he relates to young Chris McCandless and I think that's well done.  We get a sense of the mindset of Chris and how he came to do what he did even though it's impossible to get totally into someone else's mind.  I make no judgments about Chris.  He did his life thing so to speak and it ended tragically but it could have not ended tragically if he had not eaten those deadly plants.  As a non-nature person, I do struggle to understand someone desiring to go "into the wild."  This is not me so I suppose I will never understand such desire.  But still--great writing and a great story, fun to read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you like it. I will be posting too. I became tired of the nature description.