Thursday, September 24, 2009

Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald

This book is disappointingly boring. It is considered among the best in American fiction, but I could not wait to finish it.

The plot begins with Rosemary Hoyt, an actress, who admires the glamour, poise, and charm of Dick and Nicole Diver. When the story turns the Divers, however, we find that their marriage is not as solid as it seems. Dick is a psychiatrist who was once Nicole's doctor. When they marry, they love each other, but Dick cannot stop treating Nicole as a patient. When Dick and a partner open a sanitorium, Nicole's family wealth finances it. Dick subsequently never adjusts to losing his independence to his wife. He later has an affair with Rosemary and begins drinking heavily. As Nicole is cured and becomes stronger, Dick only deteriorates.

In some ways, the plot is similar to the life of F. Scott - Nicole's and Zelda's psychological troubles, Dick's and F. Scott's alcoholism, and Dick's and F. Scott's declines from promising careers.

I especially liked this exchange, where Dick, to me nonchalantly, recognizes his decline:

Nicole: "Dick, this isn't faintly like you."

Dick: "Excuse me again. I'm not much like myself any more."

2 comments:

Fred Hudson said...

WEll, now I'm not sure if I wish to read this book or not!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can begin it and see what you think. I find it hard to relate to these European places and affluent sensibilities.