Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Ron Rash - Chemistry and Other Stories

I continue my Ron Rash (Serena) reading with this collection of his short stories. After reading John Updike's last collection I've been into short fiction these days.

Rash writes of the Applachian region of the South, not much different from Alabama. The people and issues seem much the same. He writes mainly of average poor people struggling within the confines of their situations.

We're talking about people who hunt and go fishing, who live in trailers, and who deal with issues carried on from both their personal and collective past: people who have one foot in the present trying to dealing with modernity but whose minds are usually somewhere in the past.

This is a nifty short story collection for readers of Southern literature, and that is certainly me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Splendid. I will read it.

Unknown said...

I'm a huge fan of all Ron's work.