Friday, November 21, 2008

The New York Review of Books

My first issue came yesterday compliments of Freddy. A subscription to this hallowed book review was Freddy's October birthday present. I am so thankful because this is a GREAT publication.

I admit I was confused in that I thought this was the same thing as the NY Times book review that I read regularly online. But no, it's not the same thing.

This is the premier book review in the country. Now I can say that I am REALLy keeping up with the publishing world.

Here is what I like about my inaugural issue.

There are 3 pieces on Robert Frost. I have long wanted to study his poetry.

There is an article by George Soros on the current economic crisis.

There is an article by James McPherson reviewing two books on Lincoln and racial and ethnic pluralism.

There is other marvelous stuff as well. I look forward to spending considerable time with this publication as it comes in.

Thanks, Freddy, for such a tremendous gift.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I understand, it has both book reviews and social, political, and other commentary. Being a book lover and an intellectual, I thought you would like it!

Fred Hudson said...

An intellectual--yes, that's what I am. Maybe a pseudointellectual is more like it!