Monday, September 17, 2007

What I've Been Reading

I know I haven't posted anything original in a while and I apologize. Here are some thoughts on what I have been reading recently.
The History of Love by Nicole Krauss - Great story of the powers of imagination, creating your own reality in order to survive, and the amazing power of literature to change lives. I thought it an excellent novel.
Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert - I originally tried to read this book several years ago and had trouble with it but read it last month for book club and sped right through it. I think I understand Emma's conflicts and did not really hate her as perhaps I should have.
Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks - Brooks, who won the Pulitzer in 2005 for March, writes with a journalist's eye. This historical novel covers a year during the plague and the story of one remarkable woman who survives.
The Painted Veil by Somerset Maugham - His wit and amazing power to describe human relationships makes this book amazingly current. It was written in 1925 but if you didn't know better you would swear it was just published.
Blink by Malcolm Gladwell - I don't read much in popular psychology but I found the case studies in this book to be very fascinating. I have completed Harvard's IAT tests several times. You should give them a try.
Also read/reading: Coraline by Neil Gaiman, The End of the Alphabet by CS Richardson, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris.

I have been reading a lot of current fiction, don't really know why, just in that mood I guess. I know this is a lot to say without much detail on any one book but if anyone has anything to comment on any of these titles, I would love to chat!

5 comments:

Fred Hudson said...

Why would you hate Emma?

Fred Hudson said...

I too will read The Painted Veil.

Fred Hudson said...

Why should you hate Madame Bovary?

Anonymous said...

Jamie, thanks for sharing what books you have read and are reading. These titles are all quite intriguing; I'll definitely check these out. I've thought about reading The Painted Veil, and your comments about it further inspires me to read it. Thanks very much for your splendid reviews of these books!

Jamie said...

Not sure why anyone would hate Emma but many in my book group disliked her. I mean she isn't a Becky Sharpe.