Sunday, July 5, 2020

Tennessee Williams - A Streetcar Named Desire - Notes

Famed Elysian Fields in New Orleans.

Stanley (bellowing):
Hey, there!  Stella, baby!
P. 4

Blanche (with faint hysterical humor):
They told me to take a street-car named Desire, and then transfer to one called Cemeteries and ride six blocks and get off at--- Elysian Fields!
P. 6

Blanche (faintly to herself):
I've got to keep hold of myself.
P 10

Blanche:
Oh, I spy!  I spy!
P. 11

Stanley:
What's all this monkey doings?
P. 29

Stella:
Stan, we've---lost Bell Reve.
P. 30

Stanley:
How about that?  Let's have a few more details on that subjeck.
P.31

Blanche:
Yes.  (During the pause, she looks up at the sky)  There's so much---so much confusion in the world . . . . Thank you for being kind!   I need kindness now.
P. 69

Blanche:
Oh, let me think, if only my mind would function!
P. 75

Blanche:
It's a Barnum and Bailey world, Just as phony as it can be---
P. 122

Blanche:
Not so terribly long!  Possess your soul in patience!
P. 123

Blanche:
I won't be taken for granted.
P. 134

Blanche:
There is some obscure meaning in this but I fail to catch it.
P. 144

Mitch:
You're not clean enough to bring in the house with my mother.
P. 150

Stanley (grinning amiably):
The baby won't come before morning so they told me to go home and get a little shut-eye.
P. 152

Eunice:
I always did say that men are callous things with no feelings, but this does beat anything.  Making pigs of yourselves.
P. 164

Eunice:
Don't ever believe it.  Life has got to go on.  No matter what happens, you've got to keep going.
P. 166

Blanche:
Yes, it will do!  I'm anxious to get out of here---this place is a trap.
P. 169

Blanche:
Whoever you are---I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.
P. 178

Steve:
The game is 7-card stud.
P. 179




No comments: