Monday, December 30, 2019

Gotta Have a Fiddle in the Band


As the group Alabama says, if you're gonna play in Texas, you gotta have a fiddle in the band. Well, I didn't see any fiddles when I was in Texas last week, but I did meet lots of nice people there. Freddy and Andrea live in New Braunfels, a neat little town of about 70,000 hearty Texans just north of San Antone, settled partly by Germans many moons ago. I enjoyed the German flavor of the town. Whataburger is big in Texas along with everything else, but we did not succumb to one of them. After all, we got one of them in Pelham which I ignore. The grilled banana bread at the Fork and Spoon in New Braunfels sticks in my mind, as does the Mexican shrimp at Pappasito's Cantina in Austin. Good meals are essential to making the rounds in Texas country.

No comments: