Thursday, October 11, 2018

At 69


Well, shiver me timbers! The story is that on the Tuesday afternoon I was born in Dr. Couch's clinic in my hometown of Winfield my father passed out on the floor upon seeing the blood.
Someone exclaimed to the doctor, "Mr. Hudson has passed out!!! What will we do?"
"Oh, he'll be okay," the doctor said.  
So it was kind of exciting the day I entered this world 10/11/49.  
It must have been quite a scene. And yes, my father was okay.  
In those days there was no paternal leave so he was soon telling his customers he had a son after two daughters. As a salesman for the Standard Coffee Company for people who lived in the country he had rural customers all over the county who soon learned the good news. He worked a half day on Saturdays and I'd make rounds with him. They gave him a wrist watch in 1955 when he retired from that job.  
I'll be wearing that watch today in memory.

No comments: