Thursday, March 22, 2018

I Like Ike

Okay, I like Ike. Who doesn't like Ike? I have vague memories politically of the 50's having been born in 1949. We survived Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD). We survived McCarthy and John Foster Dulles and got the '57 Civil Rights Bill though I'm not sure how much credit Ike deserves. Wasn't it Ike who said don't get involved in a land war in Asia? But didn't he also talk about the dominoes falling in SE Asia, a pretext of getting involved in Vietnam? It took some prodding, but President Eisenhower finally did the right thing in Little Rock in '57. He ended the Korean War by threatening the blow up the whole Korean Peninsula with nukes though I'm guessing that unlike with our current incumbent, everyone felt pretty safe with Eisenhower in charge. The man had nerve and at least a little bit of moxie. So sure, I like Ike. Even if unlike Stevenson he liked to read Western novels.

No comments: