Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Bridges

I am not afraid of many things, but I am coming out of the closet to tell you that I am deathly afraid of bridges. There is one down highway 31 from where I live that looks like it was built in 1837. Thousands of cars drive over it every day. I shudder each time I cross it afraid it will collapse while I am on the bridge.
Those long bridges over water scare the daylights out of me. The one leading into Mobile on I-65 makes me shiver all the way across. I am afraid the bridge will snap & close up and trap me inside like I am am a disposable insect.
Bridges are made to collapse. Bridges are made to trap and confuse. Bridges scare the daylights out of me.
The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco is famous, but it sways in strong wind. I was on it once when it swayed. It's lucky I didn't leave this life from fright.
Yes, I know that bridges can be technological marvels, but God help me as I drive across each and every one.

No comments: