Thursday, September 19, 2013

With James Meredith

I was in Tunica this week. Yesterday, I visited the local public library. I noticed that James Meredith was coming today to lecture on improving public education for our children and to promote his book, A Mission From God: A Memoir and Challenge for America. So, I attended the program this afternoon.

I arrived early enough to chat briefly with Mr. Meredith beforehand. Yesterday, while visiting the library, I met the head librarian, and she introduced me. Mr. Meredith is now 80, and his passion is educating children and uplifting people from poverty.

He said during his lecture that he has written over 20 books. He said his degree is in Political Science, History, and French, as the first black graduate of Ole Miss in 1963. He went on to earn a law degree from Columbia. He now lives in Jackson, Mississippi.

His overarching point is that the problem of public education is a breakdown of moral character and religion can rectify that problem.

1 comment:

Fred Hudson said...

Awesome! Meredith is a cultural icon. Glad you got to meet him and I'm sure you had a great conversation. Great picture!