Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Robert B. Parker - Sixkill

I've known of this crime author for many years.  He is very prolific having written dozens of novels.  One of his series of books has the detective character Spenser.  I understand there was once a TV show based on this character.

Mention was made of Parker in Dionne's book.  So I picked up this book, read it, and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Crime fiction is one of reading side lights.  I read maybe one or two or three crime thrillers a year.

The author had (he died two years ago) a Phd in English from Boston University.  He writes what you might call a literary crime novel.  His character Spenser is very witty and makes occasional literary references, such as when he quips that someone who uses the word "efficacious" must have read Faulkner.

The book features nonstop wit and repartee.  The best thing is the character of Spenser and his relationship with his girlfriend Susan.  I'll probably read other Spenser novels.

The Spenser character has been taken over by Ace Atkins.  Ace, already an accomplished crime novel writer on his own, played football at Auburn.  He has published his first Spenser novel.  Maybe I'll try it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I avoid popular fiction, but if you recommend this, then maybe it is worth trying.