Thursday, March 1, 2012

Adjusting to the Information Age

It seems that I am an increasing victim of the Information Age, or, as Brother Gates once termed it, the "Information Highway." It's not that I wish to get off the road, just that I have to fashion my own way of moving down the highway. I grew up with the almost innate belief that you could "look it up." The answer is in a book somewhere. Just find the right book and look it up. Yes, I Google and even occasionally use Wikipedia (though I don't automatically believe anything I read there), but I still trust only respected scholars and peer reviewed material. I am firmly on the side of the respected scholar over the so-called wisdom of the crowd. Oh, the snobbery of it all! The trick is to use digital tools with discretion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I might feel lost if I had to use books for research.