Monday, August 31, 2009

Adventures in the Electronic World

Are the batteries still good? I can’t tell.
Is this thing still plugged in?
How long did you say this battery is supposed to last?
Where is the switch on this gizmo?
Which button do I push first?
Check the phone jacks. Did the cats knock one loose?
My IE won’t come up. Is it my computer or ATT & T?
Should I get an iPhone? Should I continue to download Microsoft updates? Do I need another hole in the head?
If I have to talk to ONE MORE PERSON FROM INDIA I think I’m going to scream. (I keep hoping one of them will ask, “How’s the weather in Alabama?” but somehow I doubt this will ever happen)
Should I buy electric or gas?
Will the store take it back?
Did I REALLY need this?
Will it ever be fashionable to NOT update?
Do they make a cordless phone that lasts longer than 6 months?
My desk is a mess of contraptions---computer, modem, router, fax machine, two black boxes that I have no idea where they came from---and wires going everywhere and some loose wires that I don’t know where they are supposed to go---plugged into the contraptions and into forty/eleven outlets. I can’t tell heads or tails with this mess. I don’t worry about it until something doesn’t work.
What will I do when I have a problem and I don’t know where to turn?
Can you call 911 when your computer isn’t working right?
My Daddy didn’t have to deal with this stuff in the 60’s. That was a better time.
When the apocalyptic tomorrow arrives and it all goes away and we’re all back in the equivalent of the year 463 AD and darkness once again descends on the planet, what will our successors think when they dig up all of this stuff?
My plumber says that a gas hot water heater is better than electric. I have to take his word for it. In this electronic world I seem to have to take other people’s word for everything.
I wonder if President Obama had all of his electronic gizmos in Mass. last week. Maybe he couldn’t afford all of them after paying about $25,000 for that week of vacation. After all, he IS on a fixed income and his wife isn’t working.

No comments: