Friday, May 8, 2009

The New York Review of Books & The Lost City of Z

How did I live so long without reading The New York Review of Books? This premier book review is THE book review for elite readers. Do I dare call myself an ELITE reader? Sure!

The current issue has a review of a book I am reading currently called The Lost City of Z by David Grann. I don't normally read adventure nonfiction like this, but I couldn't resist the story line in this one.

It seems that in the late 19th century and early 20th century, South America and in particular Brazil was the place to go for adventureous North Americans. Mark Twain considered a trip to South America, but he never made it.

What could draw interest to South America? Why, of course, a potential lost civilization!

The speculatation centered on a civilization and/or city that came to be called Z. This book is about an eccentric explorer named Fawcett who made many exploring trips to South Alabama, convinced that this lost civilization actually existed. Therein lies the tail. We shall see what happens.

So thanks again to Freddy for the Christmas present of the NY Review of Books. I will be reading it for the rest of my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fawcett went to South Alabama? I knew that South Alabama was a weird and exotic place, to be visited only by those with true grit, but I did not know it was once thought to have a lost civilization.

This book sounds interesting. Be certain to review it when you are finished.

As an ELITE reader, I think the New York Review of Books is quite befitting. Do you ever find yourself wanting to boast that you are a subscriber to this prestigious literary publication? I imagine it's a good conversation starter, perhaps when you're hobnobbing with professors.

Fred Hudson said...

Ah, too bad he didn't go to South ALABAMA. Maybe he wouldn't have disappeared!