Friday, September 8, 2023

And Yet

 At Starbucks I've had two literary encounters already. A man named Kevin comes over and shows me two book covers and asks which one do I like best. I pick one though neither jumps out at me.  

It turns out he is a writer and is publishing a book on resilience due to be published next May. His publisher is offering him a choice of two covers. We talk and I discover it is a fascinating topic. I take note and tell him I will purchase the book and remember our encounter.

A young lady sits down near me with a book. She shows it to me----a ghoulish sci-fi novel about a supernatural creature who intervenes in human affairs to avenge murders. 
 
I should have known: the young lady looks like a science fiction reader, dressed in black with overly thick lipstick and short, clipped black hair. She seems nice enough, nothing creepy or ghoulish about her, and yet, and yet I always wonder about sci-fi, fantasy readers.  

So far, so good.

No comments: