Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Woody Allen - Apropos of Nothing - Notes

First of all, the book has large type.  Easier on senior eyes!

Second of all, the memoir is very entertaining.

Most of all, I have long been a fan of Woody Allen.  His style of humor with the funny one-liners referencing literature and philosophy is my style of humor,  but he points out correctly that he is not an intellectual.  This is because his knowledge appears to be superficial just like mine.

He grew up in a Jewish environment in Brooklyn.  Woody Allen is New York thru and thru.  Of course now he lives at 84 in his beloved Manhattan with his beloved wife 30 plus years his junior.  His feet rest best on concrete rather than any part of nature.  One of his lasting quips is that he is at two with nature.
He claims a lower-middle class upbringing.  P. 1

He flunked out of New York University.  I am not surprised.  Again, not really an intellectual.

Began as a comedy writer.  This is his most basic talent.  King of the one-liners.
He worked on the Sid Caesar TV show in the 50's called "Your Show of Shows," which I have seen referenced many times over the years as classic TV with a super talented group of comedy writers.  Woody worked with Carl Reiner on this show.

Also did magic early on.  A lifelong lover of magic.

Had a run as a stand-up comedian.  This is what I remember when I read years ago that he was going to make movies.

Woody Allen's first of three wives was named Harlene. She was 17 and a philosophy student at Hunter College and Woody at 20 was just starting out as a comedy writer.
In retrospect he knew he married too young, but one incident early on was the tip-off.
"She taught me philosophy and I developed a crush on it. But the arguments we had over philosophy---free will and monads---weren't nearly as combative as the arguments within our marriage.
I knew I was in trouble, when, in a philosophical discussion, Harlene proved I didn't exist."
Philosophy can be dangerous stuff. Handle with extreme care.

Woody is a prolific name-dropper.  In this book he must mention every famous person he has ever met, and he seems to have met everyone.

He is a big NY Knicks fan as he carries 4 season tickets.

The greatness of S.J. Perelman.
He made Woody improve his vocabulary.  P. 96

He praises Mort Sahl, a comedian before my time.
Like Babe Ruth, you had to be there.  P. 104
Whatever he did as a stand-up was inferior to Sahl.  P. 105

He says that Philip Roth was a genuine intellectual whereas Woody was just a comedy writer turned movie maker.  Woody was interested in Roth to the extent that he provided Woody with comedy material.  This is a good point about Woody Allen.  He makes it clear that in his comedy was his main concern even though he made a few serious movies.  P. 180

He plays clarinet in a jazz band for many years.

Proud to proclaim over and over that he is an existentialist pessimist.

The biggest section of the book is his defense of Mia Farrow's charges that he abused their daughter Dylan.  No doubt Woody was publicly smeared in the matter.  Innocent Mia gets credit for adopting so many vulnerable kids, including Soon-Yi, and yet Woody describes the horrible way she treats them, including his wife.  He points out that every investigation of the matter clearly proves that he  did not molest Dylan.  He seems to have an ironclad case.  Woody is innocent.

One of the surprising things I learn in this book is the many, many, movies he has made over the years.  I had no idea he had produced so many films.  Most of them apparently never appeared in Birmingham.

His young wife Soon-Yi is a wonder woman.  He says they have been happily married for over 20 years and have adopted two kids.

Idealizes Tennessee Williams.  The thing he most envies?  Writing Streetcar.

Finally:



Shared with Close FriendsWoody Allen summarizes his life in his marvelous just published autobiography, combining serious with humor. He is my writing hero. I identify totally with this man. My humor role model.

"How would I sum up my life? Lucky. Many stupid mistakes bailed out by luck. My biggest regret? Only that I've been given millions to make movies, total artistic control, and I never made a great film. If I could trade my talent for another person's, living or dead, who would it be? No contest---Bud Powell. Though Fred Astaire's right up there. Who in history do I most admire? Shane, but he's fictional. Any women? There have been so many I've admired, from standards like Eleanor Roosevelt and Harriet Tubman to Mae West and my cousin Rita, I'll finally say Soon-Yi. Not because if I don't, she'll kneecap me with the rolling pin, but because she hit the cruel streets alone at five to try for a better life, and despite dreadful obstacles made one for herself. The thing I most envy? Writing "Streetcar." If I had my life to do over, would I do anything different? I would not purchase that miracle vegetable slicer the guy advertised on TV. And really, no interest in a legacy? I've been quoted before on this, and I'll leave it this way: Rather than live on in the hearts and mind of the public, I prefer to live on in my apartment." P. 392



Shared with Close FrienWoody Allen summarizes his life in his marvelous just published autobiography, combining serious with humor. He is my writing hero. I identify totally with this man. My humor role model."How would I sum up my life? Lucky. Many stupid mistakes bailed out by luck. My biggest regret? Only that I've been given millions to make movies, total artistic control, and I never made a great film. If I could trade my talent for another person's, living or dead, who would it be? No contest---Bud Powell. Though Fred Astaire's right up there. Who in history do I most admire? Shane, but he's fictional. Any women? There have been so many I've admired, from standards like Eleanor Roosevelt and Harriet Tubman to Mae West and my cousin Rita, I'll finally say Soon-Yi. Not because if I don't, she'll kneecap me with the rolling pin, but because she hit the cruel streets alone at five to try for a better life, and despite dreadful obstacles made one for herself. The thing I most envy? Writing "Streetcar." If I had my life to do over, would I do anything different? I would not purchase that miracle vegetable slicer the guy advertised on TV. And really, no interest in a legacy? I've been quoted before on this, and I'll leave it this way: Rather than live on in the hearts and mind of the public, I prefer to live on in my apartment." P. 392


No comments: