Friday, December 27, 2013

Match Point

As chance had it, I rewatched Match Point from Woody Allen.  When I first saw this movie, years ago when it was released in 2005, I was more apathetic and indifferent.  However, upon this second viewing, I am thoroughly entertained.  This may be my favorite Woody Allen film.

The movie is drama, comedy, and thriller woven together.  What is most striking is the obvious theme of what role luck plays in life.  This premise is clearly served to us in the opening scene, when the former professional tennis player protagonist tells us how significant luck is, while we see a tennis ball hit a net and pop in the air, ultimately not knowing which side of the court it will land.

Early on, this character is seen reading Crime and Punishment.  I have never read Dostoevsky, but I understand that in his book someone commits murder but is later redeemed by love, God, and punishment for the crime.  Similarly, our tennis player in Match Point commits murder and, like Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment, tries to hide his crime by faking a robbery.  However, our tennis player is never redeemed.  Luckily for him, the police believe another culprit responsible.  Allen is suggesting, unlike Dostoevsky, that life can be shaped by luck and that love and God do not always offer the promise of salvation.

I am now compelled to watch more Woody Allen movies.  I have always liked Annie Hall, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Midnight in Paris, Mighty Aphrodite, and Sweet and Lowdown.  I did not care for You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger or Melinda and Melinda.  I want to watch his latest, Blue Jasmine, next.  I may also watch Crimes and Misdemeanors, which I read has a similar story to Match Point.

3 comments:

Fred Hudson said...

An astute commentary on Woody!

Freddy Hudson said...

Gotta love Woody!

Fred Hudson said...

Midnight in Paris is my recent favorite. Seen it twice already!