Friday, November 4, 2011

Walter Isaacson - Steve Jobs

I finish this biography of Steve Jobs. I read the book simply because he died recently and I figured that everyone would be talking about him and the book. The book is OK---rather dry though---but at this point in time the definitive narration of his life.

Jobs is an iconic business figure for our time. His Apple company developed some the legendary products of our generation like the Apple I, Apple II, the Mac computers, the iMac, the iPod, the iPhone, and, of course, the iPad. Yet he also had many failures like the Lisa computer which was totally ill-conceived from the beginning.

Suffice it to say that Jobs was a genius of a type. Isaacson tries to describe Jobs's type of genius. I shall not bother my brain trying to understand it.

Though a genius---there, I'll admit it---he was a sorry human being as he neglected his family, regularly abused his employees, and was often distant and cruel to other people. Genuis, yes; great human being, no.

No comments: