Thursday, December 2, 2010

Laura Hillenbrand - Seabiscuit (2)

This book about the famous racehorse Seabiscuit, published in 2001, was a huge bestseller. I purchased the PB when as it was published when we were in California in August of 2002. I gave my copy to Grandpa O'Riley and later bought another one for myself. Then I put it on the shelf.

Now I've read it and quite a story it is. I had never heard of Seabiscuit before this book. It's quite a story of how a particular horse owner, a trainer, and a jockey accidentally got together to guide a thoroughbread horse to fame during the latter years of the Great Depression.

I learn of this bygone era, the world of horseracing in the 1920's and 30's, the highs and lows and in particular the precarious world of the jockey. Those guys were in a dangerous profession for mostly low pay and the huge risk of injury each time they mounted a horse.

The book is a marvelous evocation of a bygone era in American history.

No comments: