Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

Absolutely, absolutely among the best books I have ever read.

The prose is lyrical and poetic. I cannot believe that there is an American writer today who writes more majestically. Few American writers heretofore wrote with more splendor. Her prose is as beautiful as Fitzgerald and Faulkner.

The story focuses on a set of characters, the center of which is Milkman Dead. Most of these characters are named from the Bible. Milkman's grandfather was Macon Dead. Macon Dead had two children, Macon Dead and Pilate. Macon Dead had three children, Macon Dead (usually called Milkman Dead), Magdalene (usually called Magdalene called Lena), and First Corinthians. Pilate had one child, Reba, who had one child, Hagar.

This novel is replete with themes. It is about family, identity, and class conflict among others.

I have only two critiques of the story. First, the end is like a movie, with too much action and adventure. Most of the story is a more realistic depiction of humanity. Second, it perpetuates stereotypes of blacks as buffoons and susceptible to believing myths and spirits.

However, I loved this book and plan to read more of Toni Morrison. I do not know that I have ever fallen head over heals for a writer, but I felt smitten with her after finishing this book. I believe that she is among our best writers today.

4 comments:

Fred Hudson said...

I will read it now for sure after unsuccessfully starting it several times but putting it down. This kind of writing is tough for me.

Anonymous said...

Why is it a struggle?

Anonymous said...

For me, it flows so easily.

Fred Hudson said...

Even though when I write myself I blend fact and fiction and have no trouble writing what might be called fantasy, I have trouble reading fantasy, particularly if it's blended in. To me the narrative and flow of this novel seems to be difficult. Perhaps I am an old-fashioned linear reader.