Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Quasi Luddite

I consider myself a quasi Luddite. Since I was not raised in the digital world, I like to think I know how to live properly in these technological times.

First of all, I've decided to have at least one off-day per week: one day in which I do not look at a computer screen. At least one day a week I say STOP THE INTERNET: I WANT TO GET OFF! So far it's done me a lot of good. My focus is better. My disposition is better. My mood has stablized.

I do not Twitter and will never Twitter.

I recently joined Facebook and though I like it, I've discovered it's mostly the same people posting trivial stuff day after day. It gets tedious after a while. It is mostly superficial.

I do not own an iPhone, an iPod, or a Blackberry nor do I ever intend to own any of these items. I believe I can be a happy and productive person without any of these electronic toys.

The virtual world is not the real world. The real world is family, home, work with real people, and flesh and blood friends in my physical presence.

So far I like the way I am living, properly balancing the virtual and what I call the real world.

No comments: