Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Reading 2009

This year I did not read as many books as I had hoped. The several I enjoyed include Coetzee's Life & Times of Michael K. Michael is a somewhat idealized version of myself - detached, the salt of the earth, yet in tune with what is real and true. I also liked McCarthy's The Road, with some of the best prose I've ever read. Roth's Indignation was especially stirring too. McCourt's Teacher Man is marvelously written and a truthful account of being a teacher.

For the new year, I have many things I want to read. I want to finish Ernest J. Gaines' A Lesson Before Dying and Yates' Revolutionary Road. I also want to read:

o John Kennedy Toole, A Confederacy of Dunces
o George Eliot, Middlemarch
o Truman Capote, In Cold Blood
o Herman Melville, Typee
o F. Scott Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night
o Elisha Cooper, ridiculous/hilarious/terrible/cool
o Herculine Barbin
o more Roth

1 comment:

Fred Hudson said...

You have healthy reading ambitions!