Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Summer Reading

The summer reading season is coming to an end. Actually, since I read year round there really is no summer "season" for me, but it seems customary to think of summer as a separate reading season .

I thoroughly enjoyed Harper Lee's TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD for at least the third time. What I most enjoyed this time was the Southerness of the novel. There was the mention of Montgomery and Mobile and Meridian, Mississippi. The people seemed like the small town people I grew up with in the 60's. Boo Radley went back into his house and Scout never saw him again. Poor Boo.

Rick Perlstein's NIXONLAND is maybe the best book I've read on the 60's---my generation. It's a stretch to blame all of today's partianship on Nixon, but he's the best target.

Thurston Clarke's THE LAST CAMPAIGN I read in June to remember Bobby Kennedy's last campaign in 1968. RFK is the only politician in my lifetime that I really loved and appreciated. He will always be the great what might have been.

Barbara Leaming's biography of JFK is the best JFK book I've read. I learned a lot about his background that I did not know. I would highly recommend this biography.

No comments: