Saturday, November 17, 2007

W. Somerset Maugham

I just finished two of his novels. His magnus opus is supposed to be Of Human Bondage. I did The Painted Veil and Up at the Villa. I enjoyed both. Maybe I'll read the former one day.

Both are tightly written narratives with a straight-forward story line. I suppose Maugham is writing about well-to-do English people who get themselves into difficult situations. That's how I would describe both of these novels. The other thing is that Maugham is marvelous at defining character. You feel like you really get to know his characters.

Up at the Villa is the best one. It's a good suspenseful story with memorable characters.

Somerset Maugham is a very good writer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to read these. I've seen the movie for The Painted Veil. Did you think the change in the main characters' relationship at the end was believable?

Fred Hudson said...

Yes, based on the book. I have not seen the movie.