Sunday, August 19, 2007

J.M. Coetzee - Disgrace

My take on this fine, tight novel is that it's primarily about people trying to communicate with each other and not having much success.

David Lurie cannot properly explain to anyone his disastrous behavior. No one understands; no one CAN understand except him.

David cannot understand his daughter Lucy and she cannot fathom him. Petrus is mysterious, a creature of South Africa that he is.

Melanie's parents do not understand David, and he cannot relate to them.

The only communications that finally occurs is between David and Bev Shaw. At least David comes to understand why Bev devotes her life to taking care of animals. At least David ends the novel with SOME understanding of someone or something other than himself.

This is a great novel. I highly recommend it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your comments.

I'd add that the book also shows what South Africa has become since Apartheid ended: Racial tension and violence are still very present. Also it shows that some white South Africans feel a debt is owed to the blacks, similar to reparations for American slaves.

I think David also understands the dogs. Maybe the special care he gives them is some kind of redemption, which he's unable to give to Lucy.

Lastly, I think David is out of place. He says he's a servant of Eros, not the predator anyone else sees him as. As South Africa has changed, he has not.

Fred Hudson said...

Great analysis. I can't agree more.

Jamie said...

I have put off reading Disgrace simply because of subject matter but hope to eventually come around to it. I have read and enjoyed very much Waiting for the Barbarians and The Life & Times of Michael K. Both excellent. Waiting for the Barbarians reminds me of Greene's The Heart of the Matter- the isolation of coastal towns, imperialism in all its gruesome glory. Michael K is an interesting little study. Part As I Lay Dying, part Kafka's Castle, it is a great look at Apartheid.

Anonymous said...

I like Coetzee, having read Disgrace and Foe and wanting to read Slow Man, in addition to eagerly wanting to read Waiting for the Barbarians and The Life & Times of Michael K. Before I get to those, there are some other books I'm trying to finish first - there are too many I want to read that it's always tough to pick what to read next! I'm glad you've read these two Coetzee books and like them. Apartheid is certainly an interesting subject.

Greene has been on my mind as someone else I want to read, including his The Heart of the Matter. I'll definitely pick this one up to! It's neat you mention these books since I've been wanting to read them.