Saturday, July 7, 2007

Response to Mike

Mr. Mike---

Let me first quote from a book called The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby.

"I don't want anyone writing to point out that I spend too much money on books, many of which I will never read. I know that already. I certainly intend to read all of them, more or less. My intensions are good. It's my money. And I bet you do it too."

I couldn't say it better myself. If I buy books impulsively, if I buy books that I know that I will probably never read, then hey, what the heck? Books are meant for reading. But for me, books are also art objects---things of adoration to have adoring your walls to look at and admire even if you never read them. That's my philosophy, and I'm sticking to it.

Yes, you did talk me out of purchasing those Lincoln books in California, and that was a good thing because I would, in fact, never have read them and would probably never appreciate seeing them on my shelf as you would. So you saved me there, and I applaud you for it.

OK. So there. Silly me. I admit it.

All kidding aside, I'm glad that you have joined this blog. I hope you continue to post, about books your reading and any other jostling as you see needed!

No comments: