Sunday, June 3, 2007

Paul Hemphill - The Good Old Boys

The first time I remember hearing the term "good old boy" was 1976/1977 when Jimmy Carter was running for and was elected President. Jimmy was NOT a good old boy, but brother Billy was, and everybody was talking to and about Billy and his gas station in Plains, Georgia.


It was during this time that I first read Birmingham native Paul Hemphill's collection of essays about the South called The Good Old Boys. I enjoyed it immensely because I grew up in the rural South and I understood everything Hemphill says in the book.


I just reread the book, having purchased a copy 10/2/05 at the Gnu's Room bookstore in Auburn, Alabama. I have enjoyed it all over again.


What has happened to the good old boy? Is he still around?


Sure he's still around; it's just that he is not as sharply defined as he once was.

Molly Ivins, that liberal elitisit who masqueraded as a good old girl Texan, had a good run with her "Bubba," who bore a strong resemblence to a good old boy.

George W. Bush has his good old boy side. I can't tell if it's real or fake like his religiosity.

In the circles in which I run in Alabama, I don't know any real good old boys. I wish I new at least one. It would help keep me grounded in reality to know at least ONE good old boy.

If Billy Carter were still holding court at his gas station in Plains, I'd make a beeline over there. Now there was the quintessential Good Old Boy.

No comments: