Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Gnu's Room

There is a wonderful bookstore in Auburn, Alabama, called The Gnu's Room. The owner is Bill Sherling. I remember him telling me the origin of the name. The gnu is an animal found in Africa. Here is what I looked up:

The Gnu is also called the Wildebeest and is known for its oxlike head, horns and shoulders, its bristly facial hair and mane. Both sexes have have horns. Although they appear menacing, they really aren't. If you approached this Gnu, he'd prove it by going into antics like dashing off and and continually wheeling around to stare at you, a sure cause of snickers on the savannah.

Clever name, huh?

The store is managed day-to-day by Tina Tatum. When I'm in Auburn I always stop by and chat with Tina and buy a book or two. She's been having author signings and poetry readings. I wish I lived in Auburn to join in the fun! Tina is so knowledgeable and fun to talk to about books.

I have purchased some wonderful books at The Gnu's Room. I have found several books from the estate of Joseph Hobson Harrison, Jr., one of my all-time favorite Auburn teachers. I took 3 US history classes from Dr. Harrison and will always treasure having some of his books in my library.

I happened to be in the store one day when Charles Rose, another of my all-time favorite Auburn teachers, happened to be in the store. I had Dr. Rose for 2 quarters of English Lit. He also taught the short story. I will always regret not getting into that course. I had a friend once who raved about that course. Dr. Rose autographed his book In the Midst of Living.

What a marvelous book about Dr. Rose's days as a hospice volunteer in the Auburn area! I will always treasure this book.

The inventory of this store is incredible. There is nothing like it in our area that I know about.

Thanks for such a great bookstore, Bill and Tina!

No comments: